With compound objects, you can combine and sequence multiple media files associated with the same metadata record in a single item. On JSTOR, compound objects will appear as an item which users can navigate within to see each file associated with the record in the order it’s defined.
Some examples of when you might want to create a compound object include:
- the front and back of a postcard
- a calendar
- multiple views of a sculpture
- architectural views
- handwritten documents or manuscripts with multiple pages
Creating compound objects
For each compound object you wish to create in your collection, there are two parts:
- Related media files, identified using correct filename syntax.
- One (1) row in your metadata spreadsheet containing the object metadata and the filename of the first media file in the object.
To link related media files, use the following filename syntax to identify and sequence the files associated with the same record.
Each filename should consist of three parts:
- Base filename
- Must be identical for all related files in the object.
- Should not be used for unrelated records within the same collection.
- Filenames are case sensitive.
- Sequence number
- An underscore followed by one or more sequential numbers. (Ex. _001, _002, etc.)
- May be any number of digits.
- File extension
- Current supported file types are .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .tiff, .jp2, .gif
In this example, there are three (3) media files related to the same metadata record.
Once your related media files have correctly-formatted filenames, create a single row in your metadata spreadsheet and identify the first file in the sequence in the “Filename” column.
When the collection is created, all uploaded media files matching the base filename in this column will be associated with the metadata record in the order they’ve been defined.
Editing compound objects
When viewing a compound object in Collection Loader, the first media file associated with the item will be displayed in the item preview. You can use the previous and next arrow buttons before the preview to view the media files associated with the item.
To add, remove, and/or reorder media files associated with a compound object:
- Log into Collection Loader and choose the Collections link.
- On the Collections page, choose your collection and then the compound object you wish to edit.
- On the item page, you'll see the following options after the item preview:
- Order - Use the Order drop-down to change the order or sequence of the media file you're currently previewing within the item.
- Add - Use this button to add additional media files to your item.
- Delete - Use this button to delete the media file you're currently previewing.
- Note that this is different than the button to delete the entire item, which appears before the item preview.
- Choose the Save button to save your changes.